Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Gingery-Molasses Letdown


I'm the first to admit that this particular cupcake attempt did not yield the most excellent results. There are a few reasons for this. For one thing, I over-filled the liners and I went without a cupcake tin. I mean, that's just leaving way too much in Fate's hands. I acknowledge that.


Thus, there was much spillage and the cupcakes came out all wide and wonky-looking. Like so:


Also, while the outer sides of the cupcakes were chewy and tasted exactly like the best gingerbread cookie you can possibly imagine (I think the use of fresh ginger is an awesome idea), the middles were so moist they were borderline soggy. I love me some butter, but I don't like to think about how much butter I'm chewing on. So while the taste was really good, there was a greasiness factor that I can't quite chase from my memory.

Finally, there was the whipped cream topping which was, literally, just whipped cream and a dash of ground ginger. I'm not a huge fan of whipped cream topping on cupcakes in general (unless it's like a version of strawberry shortcake or some such thing), and in this case I was so not digging it. It's just so bland and icky.


(This is the best-looking one, so at least there was one that looked okay.)

It's okay. This is how we learn. And the nice, spicy ginger-molasses flavor was festive and seasonal a few weeks ago when I made these little guys. So. Happy holidays! (?)

No comments:

Post a Comment